Live and Learn

Here is how we are Educating ourselves by questioning, exploring, discovering, and learning everywhere except in the classroom! It's all about learning through life and respecting individuality. Please think freely and enjoy the experience with us.



-The DeBacker Family



BODY BACTERIA: A Science Project by Adam DeBacker, age 11

BACTERIA

Bacteria are one single cell. You can’t see them with your naked eye. You only can see them with the microscope. Bacteria come in different shapes and sizes. There are three different kinds of bacteria. There are spiral, round, and rods. Some are bad. The bacteria on our bodies are mostly good.

PURPOSE: To find out which body part has the most bacteria.

HYPOSTHESIS: The most bacteria is in the nose.

MATERIALS: nutrient agar, petri dishes, grease pencil, sterile swabs, microwave, tape

PROCEDURE: First I labeled the petri dishes. Then I put the agar in the microwave, and melted the agar and then I put the agar in the petri dishes. Then I put the petri dishes to cool to room temperature and then I got a sterile swab and rubbed it on the part of the body then put it on the agar. Then I closed the lid with tape and I put the petri dishes in the bathroom since it is warm and dark. Then I typed the hypothesis and then every day I checked the bacteria for a week to see how much bacteria grew.

WHERE THE BACTERIA CAME FROM:
A: control F: Tongue G: Palm of Hand
B: Bottom H: Between Toes I: Belly Button
C: Behind Ears J: Jane’s (dog) mouth K: Under Arm
D: Hair L: Eyelid M: under fingernails
E: Outside Nose N: inside nose

RESULTS: On day three, the order of the most to least bacteria is:
H,M,J,N,I,D,B,G,E,F,K,C,L,A

After one week, the order of the most to least bacteria is:
H,J,M,I,D,N,B,E,G,K,L,F,C,A

Conclusion: The most bacteria is between the toes.


GRAM STAINING: Gram staining was originally a person’s name and we did this because it was fun to look at the bacteria up close through the microscope 1000 times bigger. First I got the petri dishes with bacteria out and opened them. I got a swab and got a blow torch and with the swab I got the bacteria from the petri dishes. I got some glass slides and got some chemicals. I put some water on the glass with the bacteria and the chemicals. I let it dry and meanwhile in the background I talked about Harry Potter and Star Wars. I took pictures through the clean lens of the microscope.

Here is a picture of the bacteria from between Mom’s toes. It is Gram positive cocci magnified 1000X: